Outage Information > Three Mile Island (TMI)
BHI Energy recently made changes to the payment method of per diem for eligible employees. To assist you in understanding these changes, we have prepared the following answers to some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). If you need further information or have any questions, please call the Payroll Department @ 800-225-0385
1) If I already have Direct Deposit (DD) will my Per Diem (PD) automatically be deposited ? YES
2) Can I still elect to receive a “live” PD check? PD is a non-taxable earning code on the weekly check. It is no longer a separate check. The entire check is paid either DD or live check, based on employee set up.
3) Is travel expenses and/or travel day PD included as a DD? For employees recruited out of the Piedmont SC office, travel is part of the weekly check (i.e., would be DD if employee is set up for DD). For employees recruited out of the Weymouth MA office, travel continues to be a live check. As we continue to streamline operations, we expect to have a consistent process by year end.
4) Will cash advances be DDed? Per Diem advances will continue to be a live check.
5) Will bonuses/incentives be DDed ? Bonuses will continue to be a live check.
6) Can PD be DDed into a different account? Employees are set up for one direct deposit account. The entire check is DD into the one account in the employee record. To ensure operational efficiency and reduced account maintenance and minimal direct deposit rejects, the limit is one account for DD.
7) How will it appear on my stub? The Per Diem is a separate non-taxable line item on the check. The earning code (PD1) shows as a separate line on the check. The number of days per diem, the per diem rate, and total amount shows on the check stub.
8) Will my W-2 be any different? The Per Diem will not show on the W2 earnings, as per diem is not taxable wages.
9) Can I opt out of DD? To delete DD, please email email@example.com requesting to cancel DD. Please include name and last 4 digits of SSN.
Welcome to TMI Unit 1’s 2017 Fall Outage.
My name is John Hill, and I'll be the site coordinator this fall and my phone number is 570-204-6329. I look forward to seeing those of you that I've worked with before, and to meeting those of you I don't know yet. Thanks for supporting TMI!
Harrisburg East campground is located off Eisinhower Blvd and is about 20 mins from TMI ifr those that have a Camper.
The Sheraton Harrisburg-Hershey just off I-283 at the Swatara (Rt.441) Exit is offering some greatly reduced rates for the TMI fall outage. To get these rates you must contact Kathryn @ 717-558-4602 rather than the Reservation desk.
The Residence Inn - Harrisburg
4480 Lewis Rd., Harrisburg, PA 17111
See website link on the left
Offering reduced rates for BHI employees working the TMI outage.
*Note: After 30 nights the guest does become tax exempt.
- Daily hot/cold Breakfast Buffet.
- Evening Social event (Monday – Thursday evenings).
- Wireless Internet Services.
- Indoor & Outdoor pools and hot tubs. (* Outdoor pool is seasonal.)
- Recreation court.
- BBQ Area.
- Workout facility.
- Laundry Facility onsite.
- Complimentary Grocery Shopping Service.
- Spacious parking.
La Quinta Inn and Suites
990 Eisenhower Blvd., Harrisburg, PA 17111
I've been told that La Quinta Inn and Suites is offering outage workers a special rate(14 night minimum). Includes free Brightside Breakfast.
You should report for work to the South Office Building at 6:00 AM. to classroom F
The South Office Building is located on the south side of the island. You should access the island via the contractor entrance at the South Gate off Rt. 441. The brick building on the left is the South Office Bldg. See maps and satellite view. Watch for trains as you enter the south access road.
WATCH FOR DEER ON THE ACCESS ROAD!
You will need 2 forms of ID. One must be a government issued photo ID (Valid (not expired) driver’s license, state ID card, Passport), and the other should be your social security card or an ORIGINAL birth certificate.
Have your lifetime dosimetry records available if possible, and know your current year dose or bring your dose estimate records with you. You must be able to provide a lifetime and current year dose estimate, and know where you have received your current year’s dose.
Senior HP techs must take the Nuclear Utilities Fundamentals Exam (NUF) and pass with a grade of 80% or better, unless you are either an active NRRPT member or you’ve taken the NUF within the past 5 years and passed with 80%. NRRPT active membership and prior test results must be verified, so bring your NRRPT certificate with you, or know where and when you last passed the NUF/NEUE, in case it is not recorded in PADS. If we cannot verify your status, you will be required to take the test about midweek. JHP techs must pass a theory exam, and should study sections RP-3 and RP-5 of the NUF study guide. It can be found at www.westrain.org.
Important notes for new hires: If this is your first nuclear facility, here are a few tips to make your training phase flow smoother. You will need names, addresses, phone numbers and dates of all of your employers for the last three yrs. You will need a list of all of your residences, including addresses, for the last five yrs. If you served active military duty and were discharged within the last 3 yrs. (and it was considered your employment), you must provide a copy of your DD214. You will need to list all arrests since your 18th birthday, and you must bring the arresting paperwork and proof of court disposition. I cannot stress enough the importance of completing all security paperwork as honestly and as straightforward as you can. Omission on your paperwork is reason for denial or termination of unescorted access.
It's a requirement that each employee has their own transportation. If you have a transportation issue I must know at least 2 weeks prior to your start date. If you just show up without your own transportation and the schedule has already been completed, you'll risk having a shift issue that I can't fix.
BHI requests that you keep your hardhat between outages and re-use it.
Prescription glasses must be ANSI safety glass approved.
Modesty garments will be provided on-site.
Composite or Steel toe safety shoes are required for work in the protected area
Work shoes must be worn during in-processing, and must have a sturdy leather upper with a defined heel. Please wear long pants and a sleeved shirt to work during training. Scrubs or shorts are not allowed.
No flip flops or thong type shoes are allowed, even for arrival and departure. Wearing these onsite is a procedure violation!
PLEASE CHECK BACK FREQUENTLY FOR ANY CHANGES OR ADDED INFORMATION. I'LL BE ONSITE OCTOBER 5, AND IF I COME ACROSS APARTMENT / ROOM LISTINGS, I'LL POST THEM HERE. ANY RETURNEES THAT ARE WILLING TO SHARE ACCOMODATION INFO SUCH AS AVAILABLITY, PRICES, OR OPINIONS, PLEASE EMAIL THAT INFORMATION TO ME AND I'LL GET IT POSTED HERE!
THANKS AGAIN FOR CONSIDERING TMI'S FALL OUTAGE. PLEASE HAVE A SAFE TRIP ON YOUR WAY HERE!
TMI area drawing
Enlarged area drawing
Three Mile Island Unit 1 is a pressurized water reactor designed by Babcock and Wilcox. TMI Unit 1 began commercial operations on September 2, 1974.The plant is capable of generating 837 net megawatts. It is located near Middletown in Central Pennsylvania, about 12 miles south of Harrisburg, in Londonderry Township. The station is built on an Island in the Susquehanna River.
TMI local area map
Harrisburg area map
Middletown area map
TMI Satellite view